Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Return of the Man

During spring break the greatest 18 year old Filipino named Virgil Quijano (me) made his return to the hardwood after almost two months of absence. I haven't played basketball since January 6th 2008 and I made my return on March 1st 2008 (yes I remember the exact dates). A few of my friends wanted to play and I wanted to get back in shape so we decided what the heck let's play. We went to this gym that was open till late. We got there at 10 PM and kept playing until about 1:30 AM and we didn't even have to pay. But that's neither here nor there. The big story here is that I played basketball again. Its supposed to be like riding a bike right? WRONG! My friends haven't seen me play in a while. Last they saw, I was a dead-eye shooter and I was quick and basically just good. But that wasn't the story that night. I was so rusty that I had to guard this kid Sal Linea who doesn't know the difference between a lay-up and a jump shot. There was 6 of us so we played about 15 3on3 games and I went maybe 8-7. And of those 8, in four games my team was spotted 10 points and the game was up to 11. And then these guys challenged us to play and we spanked their backs. :) Then eventually they beat us. The good thing about this is that I started to get back into basketball shape. Mind you that I used to be a Varsity player my Junior year of high school. So its not like I'm a never was. I'm trying to leave my "Has-been" status and become good again. Especially since there's a 3 point shootout during Greek Week which I'm 99.983737% sure that I'm gonna win for my frat, the Almighty, Iota Alpha Sigma Knights. So I'm going to start playing more often and I'm going to return to greatness.