Sunday, February 10, 2008

NBA Three-Point Shootout

Another event at the NBA all-star festivities is the Footlocker Three-Point Shootout. This year there are six participants. All the participants must have a 3 point percentage of at least 35%. Taking part in this years shootout are LA Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant, Cleveland's Daniel Gibson, Richard Hamilton of Detroit, Phoenix's Steve Nash, 2 time shootout champ Peja Stojakovic of the New Orleans Hornets and defending champion Jason Kapono of the Toronto Raptors. The three point shoot-out will be held on Saturday February 16th right before the Dunk Contest. Out of the pack Kapono has the highest 3 point shooting percentage, while Stojakovic has the most made three pointers. The favorite to win the contest is Peja Stojakovic, but I believe that Steve Nash will win. Not only because he is my favorite of the 6 but because I believe his shooting form is the best one.

The three point contest has been in existence since 1986. Larry Bird won the first three shootouts and is one of only two players to be the champion 3 times. The other being Craig Hodges of the Chicago Bulls in 1990, 1991, 1992. Only 5 players have won multiple three-point shootout crowns in its 21 years. The three-point contest for me has always been one of my favorite contests to watch because I can relate more to it than any other contest. I cannot dunk so I know that I cannot mimic that contest. But I'm a very good shooter and always loved to shoot three's so I like this contest a lot.

Other highlights of all-star weekend include the celebrity game, skills challenge, shooting stars, and the rookie-sophomore challenge. This Friday marks the beginning of the all-star festivities and concludes on Sunday after the All-Star Game.