Sunday, March 9, 2008

I Still Love Basketball

Last Tuesday night, my friends and I went to go play basketball again. In one of my past blogs I wrote about how much I sucked. In this blog I'm gonna write about how much I don't suck. We started playing at around 10 PM. There ended up being 15 of us at this minuscule gym. So we had to have a 4 on 4 tournament. I played in the first game and we were up against some crappy team that we destroyed. But one of my team-mates got hurt so we had to pick up this other kid. Our second game was pretty easy too. It was a team led by another student of yours, Luca Panarelli, they sucked too (sorry Luca), but its true we beat em pretty bad. The next team was easy as well and we won again. This made our record 3-0 for the day. We then played a very good team which also had another student of yours Steven McCann. They were bigger and on the whole stronger. My team consisted of this kid with weird feet, a skinny wanna be Jamal Crawford, a very strong kid, and of course myself. The team we were up against had an average height of about 6 feet. I was guarded by this big dude who is about 6'2-6'3 and I'm only 5'8. The game was going pretty easy. We were at one point up 9-1 and the game is up to 11. But out of nowhere, the other team made a crazy comeback and the score was 10-8 with us winning. But then our team captain (the kid with weird feet) hit the game winning shot and kept us undefeated. We then won 3 more games until we were once again matched up with the team that almost beat us. Instead of us taking the early lead it was the other way around. They were up 9-3. We made a small run to cut the lead to 9-7 before the "wanna be Jamal Crawford" took an ill-advised three pointer which he air balled right into the hands of our opponent which led to an easy layup. We ended up losing 11-7 and our undefeated night was over. 7-1, not bad right? As we sat on the sidelines watching the other teams play for the first time all night we felt the agony of defeat and we were all torn and beat. Our best player's toe was bleeding through his sock, the feet of the kid with weird feet got even weirder. I still wanted to play, so I fired up my teammates by using a line from "Remember the Titans" and it worked. We played again and won two more games before everyone decided to leave.
We ended up 9-1 for the day. But the main story is that I played good basketball as compared to last week. I was hitting three pointers left and right, I was posting up on kids, I was hitting my floaters and my layups. It was great to finally play good again. So as we were leaving the owner of the place never asked us to pay. So I got in my car while the rest of my friends stayed lingering in the parking lot. Then I saw the owner come outside, he told my friends that we had to pay. One of my friends said that we left a credit card number inside so the man went back inside to check. And as that happened everyone ran to their cars and fled.
The reason that I named this blog "I Still Love Basketball" is because after we played I was all sweaty and I went outside in the cold weather and got sick. And even though I got sick and didn't feel well and felt like dying, I Still Love Basketball.