Saturday, April 26, 2008

It Never Happened!

In the 1993 Eastern Conference Finals, my two favorite teams squared off. The Chicago Bulls against the New York Knicks. Nobody could ask for a more exciting and more entertaining matchup. In game 2, John Starks of the Knicks did one thing (that I don't even think was that good) that made him look like he was great. After he pulled off this move people called it "The Dunk." Most Knicks fans loved it because he "supposedly" dunked on Michael Jordan. But if you look at the clip, that clearly doesn't happen. So I want you to first watch the clip...



Now that you have seen it, it is blatantly obvious that he did not dunk on Michael Jordan but indeed did dunk on Horace Grant. Michael Jordan came into the picture after the ball had already been in the basket. So, why is this dunk so special? Does it really deserve its own name? Michael Jordan has thousands of dunks like that. Yet, John Starks has one and automatically becomes a legend. Perhaps the use of the word legend is too much. The name John Starks isn't as known as Michael Jordan. John Starks had his one moment in time. He isn't even going to be a hall-of-famer. Nobody cares about him anymore. I clearly don't and I never did. It just angers me that people think he is great for something he didn't even really do.
If someone were to ask me, "Man, did you see that dunk that Starks had on Jordan?" I would respond by saying, "No, because he never did."